Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve!

Christmas Eve is the day to celebrate in my family. Christmas Day is actually low-key and leftovers for us. Most of what I'll be making is pretty simple so I'll have plenty of time to enjoy my family and EAT. I'll be making a honey ham, rice with pigeon peas, potato salad and corn. I know, I know. Its a very strange menu, but for whatever reason most of it is tradition. Normally a pork roast is served instead of ham, but I've left that to my mom who will be doing it on the weekend.


I'm in charge of desserts through the weekend so I planned ahead. A couple of weeks ago, I made lots and lots of cookies. I've always wanted to do this but never had the time. So, spur of the moment one weekend, I made 5 different types of cookies - all below with the exception of the chocolate cookies.

I actually have more than what's pictured! Another day, I finished the Chocolate-Mint Wafers (from Everyday Food, December 2007) since they were a bit messier and time consuming. It was so messy that I said I wouldn't be doing these again ... until I tasted them. They're delicious! The Jam-filled Cream-Cheese Cookies were tricky to make too (unfolding in the oven while cooking!) and they didn't freeze well. They're still tasty but I'm not sure if I'd make them again.


I had to make Snickerdoodles ...


I actually like very plain, dry cookies rather than those with a lot of icing. So, I made Icebox cookies and Brown Sugar Shortbread cookies (below left). The Icebox Butter Cookies (below right) are perfectly crumbly and they took just a couple of minutes to make in my food processor.

I made Peanut Butter Blossoms for the first time this year. I actually made them for Mr. T who loves peanut butter and chocolate. I didn't anticipate loving them myself!


This is way too many cookies for the number of people celebrating, but what is Christmas if not overindulgence? Calories are something to worry about next week with New Years Resolutions!

I'll be making a Rum Cake as well to take to my parents house on Saturday in addition to the cookies. This is the easiest recipe in the world and its delicious. I make it every year so its become a bit of a tradition.

Tonight, after my girls are sound asleep, Santa will be dropping off his delivery. I think I enjoy Christmas more now that I have children and can anticipate their happiness than when I was a child myself. Once everything is set at home, I'll hopefully have some time to relax before setting out for Midnight Mass.

Did you make any cookies? Any favorites? What are your plans for tonight? How about tomorrow? Have a lovely Christmas Eve!

3 comments:

Comments? I love comments!