Friday, February 19, 2010

The Ugly Utility Sink ...

One more piece of the Laundry Room project ... the utility sink. Its old, paint splatted and despite heroic efforts, no cleaner will help it. I decided not to replace it because what I really want is side-loading machines with a counter that goes all the way to the wall and a regular sink rather than a utility sink. So, what is here is temporary. That meant I also didn't want to spend $90 for a custom made ruffled sink skirt no matter how much I loved it. Instead, I paid $13 for cafe curtains (on clearance from JC Penny) and made my own sink skirt.



Stunning? No, but I like it a lot better than before. I would have liked to make it pleated rather than straight, but I did what I had time for.

Speaking of time, I haven't posted much lately because I'm still trying to catch up on everything I had to do that was put off by the snow storm, delays, school closures, etc. I'm hoping that I'm finally starting to catch up now.
Oh, one more thing ... My mom pointed out that the cabinets look crooked. They are totally level. The reason they look crooked is because the washer (on the left) is actually crooked because the floor slopes down into a drain beneath the washer that isn't visible. This is the reason I had to paint the floor in that area rather than lay the peel-n-sticks there.
Have a good weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea, I'm going to borrow it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar in my laundry-room-makeover (on the cheap). That piece of cloth around the sink does wonders to make the sink acceptable, doesn't it. I also painted a piece of plywood white and lay it on top. This made the sink look better (as in I can't see the stains) and it gives me some place to lay damp sweaters etc. You can see it here http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-frugal-cottage-laundry-room.html, if you are interested.

    Also wanted to let you know about my giveaway that ends on Sunday, Feb 21.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My laundry room is unfinished- you make me want to start tackling it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful - and I like the simple yet elegant white skirt. By the way, washers and, I think, dryers too, have things on the feet to level them. You might try to see if you can level them to help make them look straighter.

    Teacup Lane (Sandy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy,
    I will attempt to level the washer eventually. The problem is that because the washer is so heavy, its a 2 person job and there aren't always 2 people available.

    ~Melane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much better!

    Thanks so much for the comments - love your blog!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie, Your laundry room is darling. You've done a great job! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments!