Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Loss ...

I haven't blogged in a while.  As usual, life gets away from me and before I know it, the kitchen curtains I finished are never posted.  Still, this is a place where I have often used as a diary of sorts so today is a post on a different topic.

My father passed away in December after battling cancer.  Fall was an especially trying time for all of us traveling to and from the hospital, watching the slow decline and finally saying goodbye.  To say that we have had a profound loss is an understatement.  He taught me everything I know about gardening and passed along his appreciation for antiques.  He was so much to me and I'm proud to say I'm his daughter.
We are also in the midst of quite a bit of change.  My mother is selling 2 homes and currently living with us while they are settled and she finds an apartment to start a new life on her own.  Being married for 45 years from the time she was 18, this is going to be a huge adjustment for her.  

It is sad being at their main home without him there.  It seems empty.  We haven't been to the cabin since last summer but we can't imagine being there without him.  It was tiny and very far from us but it was his place.  There seemed no other choice than to leave both homes behind.  Too many memories of better days and reminders of happier times that are no more.

While things are different these days, life still goes on.  I will eventually post those kitchen curtains I made ... while remembering the person who helped me find a rod for them.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss of your dad. What a beautiful photo of him which I'm sure you treasure dearly. Reading this post, as well as your more recent ones touched a little spot in my heart - all those 'trashy" treasures. When you have a moment, please read my very, very short but sweet post from March 4, 2014. So happy to have found your blog. I'm enjoying everything you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. I would love to read your post. I'm off to go find it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Melanie. I feel your pain. Losing a parent is such a deeply felt loss and your father sounds like he was a wonderful man. I'm thinking of you as you go through his things, help your mom adjust to her new life and grieve for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Claudia. It has been a process and we're taking it one day at a time.

      Delete

Comments? I love comments!