Sunday, September 19, 2010

D.C. Big Flea

I went to the D.C. Big Flea several times last year but hadn't managed to squeeze it into my schedule this year until yesterday.  I got there early and strolled up and down the aisles and picked up a couple of things before my meet-up time with Eddie Ross.  

I apologize for the picture quality.  I was in a hurry to leave in the morning with the usual child-created chaos in my house and I forgot my camera.  My phone is the only reason I have pictures at all.  Also, traveling in a pack of 25 through the crowded aisles, I didn't always have the best vantage point, but hopefully, you get the idea here.  I'm actually glad I managed to capture these photos because it helped me remember what he said.

After checking in, we started at one end stopping at booth by booth. Below was one of the first stops at a crystal and glass booth.  Eddie is holding a large bowl that had a separate pedestal.  He spoke about all the uses for the bowl and the pedestal including using the pedestal separately for a flower arrangement.  What was interesting to me was how he said that so many people go to a department store to buy gifts, but you can find so much more beautiful and interesting items at a place like this. 

Talking about vintage quilts.  Eddie mentioned the current issue of Woman's Day, which he is now a contributor to, having a whole section on vintage quilts.  I need to pick this up!

Here he discussed making vintage scarves into pillows like he's shown on his blog. You would never think you could do something so pretty looking at how the scarves hang here.

He spoke about mixing dishes at a table and how you don't always need to have a perfectly matched set.  Mixing dishes makes it more interesting and less like sitting at a "table at Macy's".  I totally loved all these turkey platters.  So beautiful ...

Eddie spoke here about postcards and old bonds which can be blown up with a photo copier then used as gift wrap and other uses.  There was also a vintage map booth where he mentioned copying a map and using it to wallpaper a ceiling.

Really nice chairs ... Easy to update with paint and new fabric.  I didn't get a photo, but there was also an upholstered chair he discussed.  He said that stripping off the old upholstery and painting it before taking it to the upholsterer saves money.  I definitely need to keep that in mind before I take a chair of my own that needs to be reupholstered. 

My explanation and photos don't do justice to the whole experience.  There was a lot more than I can share here.  I love the flea market and like to go just to find things that catch my eye.  However, it was even more fun touring it with someone who has so much knowledge and experience for a couple of hours.  Eddie was also willing to help hunt for anything anyone in the group was looking for in particular.  I would absolutely do it again if he returns.  If you get the chance to go on one of these trips, I highly recommend it.  And, Eddie and Jaithan are truly the nicest people you'll meet.  I'm really glad I had the opportunity.

Oh, and of course, I'll be sharing the items I picked up shortly!

6 comments:

  1. How fun that must have been! Glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful, I'd like to go myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really fun day! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhoda (from Southern Hospitality) and I met up with Eddie & Jaithan last year in Atlanta at Scotts. You are so right about him, he is so helpful and down-to-earth. I hope to have another chance to flea market with them again one of these days.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun day and so interesting! So envious. ;) Can't wait to see your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you had a good time! it was so nice meeting you and thank you for such a sweet blog post!
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments!