Sunday, August 9, 2015

Black and White

I made a couple of small changes to my dining room yesterday.  I am working on some black and white striped curtains in my kitchen that i hope to make into more of an awning over the windows.  That's inspired me to add a little more black to the rest of the house. 

I love the two signs below and usually add them to my living room in the fall but I like how they look here.  This is the time of year when I start moving away from summer and start looking forward to fall and adding deeper accents.

My mannequen got a coordinating make-over.

I'll be continuing with the kitchen curtains and hope to get living room pillow cover fabric today as well.

Happy Sunday!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Hello, Monday

Pastel hydrangeas from the garden on this gloomy, Monday morning.  

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Interview with Floor Coverings International

I was recently contacted by Floor Coverings International to do a quick interview.  I usually stick to projects and don't write a lot about myself so if you're interested in a little more about me and how I got started, go check it out here!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Bookcase Before and After

I mentioned in my previous post that I wanted to try Krylon's Looking Glass Spray paint on the glass of these cabinet doors.  Here is the cabinet before painting.

And, here it is now!  

It has the look of an old mirror which is exactly what I was going for and it was really easy and fast.  I just removed the doors, taped off the glass and sprayed a few light coats.  I needed 2 cans since the cans area  little small.  It was all dry in less than an hour and the doors went right back on.  Done!

I'm really happy with it.  As you can see, the cabinet is filled with books, mostly belonging to the girls so I won't have to keep it as straightened up as much.  I hope to add more embellishments and some new hardware soon.  

To be continued ...

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Living Room Changes

Over the weekend, my livingroom underwent somewhat of a transformation.  Not only did the furniture get rearranged, but that big armoir got a paint job.  My husband actually suggested it after he saw how great our kitchen table turned out.  I don't think he expected me to do the job at 9PM, but that's just how I do things.  I love how it turned out and think it fits better with the idea I had in my head for how the room should look.  I also painted the shelf with the baskets which was previously black and even the background of the fish tank went from black to white.  Now if only I could find an Arc de Triomphe for the tank!

Here's the armoir before.  It really didn't take me long to apply 2 coats of whitewash and distress.  A couple of hours and I was done!

The chair and loveseat in the corner are special to me.  This piece belonged to my grandmother and when she moved, she gave it to me.  There is a matching love seat that will be delivered next week.  I'm so happy I finally found the space for it in my house.  

And, the French desk.  I've had this desk for several years and the top was terrible.  Our guess was that there must have been a leather top on it that was long gone, but how to fix it?  A leather replacement would cost more than the desk was and I wasn't willing to make that kind of investment.  It finally occurred to me to get a veneer, adhere it and finish it to match the rest of the desk.

I could not be happier with how it turned out.  It's not perfect, but it's a pretty close match.

My next project is this bookcase.  It certainly serves a purpose for the book readers in the house, but I felt like it could be better.  I added the embellishment on the bottom and ordered Looking Glass spray paint to paint the glass to be mirrored.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Finally, it's been a while since I posted pictures of my entire house.  Since I took such a long break, most of the pictures are very outdated.  A house tour will be on the agenda soon but likely in a couple of weeks.  Next week on June 6-7 I will be selling my the Annapolis Arts, Crafts and Wine Festival in Annapolis, MD.  Come see me!

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Peonies and a New Project

It's rainy here in Northern Virginia today, but yesterday I cut these peonies from my garden yesterday.  I don't normally like to cut them because I prefer to enjoy them in the garden for the short time they bloom but these are in a corner where they can't be seen.  Transplanting them is on my to-do list.  

You can also see the French desk they're sitting on that I still haven't worked on.  

The plan was to fix the top somehow.  I believe it was likely a long gone leather top, but replacing the top would cost more than the desk so I've ordered a wood veneer to hopefully match the top to the drawers.  If that doesn't work out my back-up plan is paint.  I think it would be equally gorgeous in white.  To be continued ...

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Summer ... and a New(ish) Wreath

Years ago, I put together this wreath to hang on my door.  It had seen better days since then so I decided to spruce it up a bit.  

I removed the burlap which had become pretty dingy, fixed up some of the shells and added more starfish.  I really like how it turned out and I think it will be less appealing to the birds that were trying to nest in the previous wreath.

I also removed some of the Spring and added more summer to other places in my house.

In my living room ...  

Dining room accents.

I changed out the heavy comforter on my bed for the lighter coverlet and added one of the Octopuses from my shop.  I just couldn't resist having one for myself!

It's only Wednesday, but I'm so looking forward to the holiday weekend.  

My garden, in particular is waiting for me ...