Sunday, August 8, 2010

Crib turned Bench

When we converted my little girl's room, the front of her crib became the footboard and the back of the crib was the headboard.  The sides and bottom were not needed after the bed was converted.  A couple of years ago, when we got rid of the same pieces on my other daughter's crib, I realized that they might actually be useful.  I couldn't use the ones I'd discarded (different design) but I eventually planned to use these. 
So, here's what we started with ...

I removed one of the dowels and just slid the two side pieces together.  Then, we used brackets from the hardware store to connect all three pieces together.  Adding legs using large dowels, a couple of turnings for feet and more brackets and we now have ...

A bench!
This area is protected from the elements but the crib mattress is waterproof and the sheets are easily washable.  I just added some outdoor pillows and now its the perfect place to curl up on a summer afternoon to read a book.  The picture above the bench was $3.50 at a thrift store.  I just painted the frame grey.  The table to the right is the match for the other one that's now in my daugher's room that just didn't fit.  There's a leaf knob on my daughter's closet that I'm going to swap for that rose.  Perfect for outdoors!

You might also have gotten a glimpse of the mess the patio was in the first photo.  I admit that I neglected it for a good part of the summer but I finally gave it some attention.  I painted the floor, rearranged the furniture and added a new white umbrella.  The "coffee table" is something that I've had for ages and used to use in my living room.  I love it especially given the fact that its worn and rough and didn't want to get rid of it.  I'm glad I didn't.  Its perfect here and it provides extra storage.
I'm still debating painting the table and chairs.  It doesn't look too bad here, but its not looking so hot.  The table top in particular isn't exactly in pristine shape.  I think painting it would not only make it look better but pull some of the brightness out into the yard.  Maybe next year.

I've had this chair all over the house and finally brought it outside and added new cushions.  I added a candle to my thrift store birdcage and hung it here.
(The curtains were blowing because a storm was coming!)

Well, that's it for now for the patio.  Next on the list will be to finish my hallway project

Linked to Metamorphosis Monday!

27 comments:

  1. I love your creativity, great job on the bench, no one would know what it was unless you told them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What vision you have for the spaces around your house! I think you are going to start a new trend... people scouring the garage sales for old cribs to convert into beautiful benches. I love it! Way to repurpose it and turn it into something useable again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your outdoor spaces! your patio looks like a real usable room, and i love your teak furniture. such brightness. so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your outdoor space is dreamy. Mine is under construction right now so pretty patios and decks make me reaaaaaally envious!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo. Very pretty and creative. Thanks for sharing and I love your porch.

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that bench and did not think of using a crib. I have seen this idea using a twin headboard and a bench both work well, I especially like your colors and the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is certainly a great idea to reuse a crib!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh,your baby crib bench is absolutely gorgeous...Your yard is dreamy..love it..xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

    Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/baby-crib-turned-porch-bench/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from Met Monday!! I love how this turned out! Your patio just looks so serene and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you have to do any extra support other than the brackets?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH I love your patio,,,, it is just beautiful,, and the bench turned out great.....

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I linked my garden bench today on Metamorphosis Monday, too. Yours is beautiful! I love your patio area!
    Michelle
    http://curlyqdesign.blogspot.com/2010/08/gorgeous-garden-bench-under-125.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Turned out beautifully! Can't wait to meet you next month!

    E + J

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it! oh who do i know getting rid of a crib! I would not paint the other furniture but maybe give it a light colorwash, so heavy woodgrains still show through but softer like the rest of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that's incredible! What a fantastic transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! I love this bench. I have made several benches from baby beds, but it never ocurred to me to use both end pieces! Thanks for sharing!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. That crib-cum-bench is genius. I love your porch - it looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh love your outdoor space!!! So dreamy:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! We've featured it on our blog!!!!! http://consignmentmommies.com/_blog/Consignment_Sale_Advice/post/30_Fabulous_Reuses_amp;_Repurposes_for_Old_or_Recalled_Cribs/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! Love your outdoor space too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your outdoor spaces! your patio looks like a real usable room, and i love your teak furniture. such brightness. so great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love what youve done with the crib! amazing

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW I Love it! I have my crib sitting in the garage potentially waiting for #3, but now it may just be on to the porch. So fun! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments!