Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mercury Glass Lamps

The other day, I was browsing at HomeGoods and I saw some mercury glass lamps. I found the one below online for 198 pounds. I'm not sure what that is in dollars, but its out of my budget nonetheless.

So, I thought of the lamps in my basement that I'd been intending to paint or replace. They were once brass and I painted them to this rusty finish and replaced the old shades.


So, I thought of the faux mercury glass pumkins from the DIY Showoff and got busy. Here is the result ...


I didn't get the shiny glass finish because the previous paint was textured, but they still turned out better than before. To be perfectly honest, this was a little tricky for me. Getting the mottled effect involved layering the paint, sometimes not shaking the can so that the paint wasn't mixed and it was splotchy. I loved the brown shade in the first picture, but since these are for our basement family room, I went with white instead.

My corner cabinet arrives tomorrow. Finished bathroom pictures will follow soon thereafter!

8 comments:

  1. The mercury lamps are stunning, but I really love the ones that you painted. They are just lovely. What a great idea to paint them. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie...

    Ohhh...I love anything "mercury glass"! Oh yes...I can't even imagine spending that much on a lamp! My friend, you did a great job with your faux mercury glass lamps...love how they turned out...fabulous, my friend! Thanks for sharing your creativity and talents with us!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shape of your lamp bases. Very substantial. I think that would be about $327 US (for one if your pound price was for one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Mercury Glass...I found some at homedepot.com for cheap and I think they were on sale $75.00 ech orig $500.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome. You are totally inspiring me to start taking my stuff that's crappy and paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you to already have lamps in such a similar shape to your inspiration! The new finish looks great...love spray paint!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments!