I finished painting a small dresser I keep in my office and what an adventure it was.
I used milk paint for the first time and I can't say I'm a fan but at least I gave it a shot.
This is what I started with. This actually belonged to my grandmother who purchased it secondhand. She moved across the country so I ended up with it. It wasn't in the best shape so I always planned to refinish it.
The motivation to finally get on with the project actually came from this sheet music I found in the attic of my parents house last weekend. It's Irving Berlin Army music from the 1940s.
So, back to the milk paint. First, it's really expensive if you want to do a piece of furniture. Between the paint and the additive to paint the finished piece it was around $45. I also didn't care for the lumpy curdled texture I got no matter how much I mixed. It also chipped on me. I wasn't going for distressed here but I ended up having no choice but to go with it. Where the paint chipped, I encouraged it.
I made templates out of regular paper by pressing it around the pattern on the dresser. It was tricky, but it worked. Then, I cut out the template, matched it up with the music and traced the template onto the music. Then I adhered the music with decopauge medium and applied a few layers of it over top.
I also covered the top with sheet music.
I think it turned out pretty well considering, but I think I'll be going back to regular old latex.
Share It One More Time on Shabbyfufu
Metamorphosis Monday on Between Naps on the Porch
That DIY Party on the DIY Showoff.