Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rainy Days ...

I've posted before about how much I love rainy days. I know most people hate them, but I find something peaceful and comforting in the overcast skies and cold air while retreating inside a cozy home. The world just seems quieter. Last night as I was getting ready for bed, the house dark and everyone asleep but me, I listened to the rain pounding the roof. It made me so grateful for my home, my family ... and my cozy warm bed!

This morning I awoke to more rain. I pieced together a couple of recipes to make these and it was a delicious breakfast success - Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones. It seems that I've been baking more than decorating these days. I suppose Fall is really about food for me. The recipe is below.


I haven't done much lately and that's a good thing. Sometimes I just like to slow down. Yesterday, I was on the sofa, lights off, with my two girls on either side and a bowl of popcorn in my lap. What could be better? After they went down for a nap, I went out for a little while. First, to the bookstore which I haven't done in ages. Then, in search of a rain jacket. I was unsuccessful with the rain jacket, but I returned with this sweater ...

I love the antique silver rhinestone buttons on it. I'm wearing it today to meet my old fellow MBA friends for lunch.

My little ones were squealing and laughing with Daddy just before their naps. What a sweet sound! I wish I could take a nap, but its nearly time for me to head out ... I hope you had a nice weekend ... even if you had rain!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg

DIRECTIONS
1.Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmet. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in chocolate chips.
3.In a small bowl, whisk pumpkin puree and egg until smooth.
4.Using a fork, stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
5. How you shape these is personal preference. I like to make 6 round scones by hand. You can also roll the dough out and make 6 triangles or use a large biscuit cutter.
6. Place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 16 to 19 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. These are great all by themselves, but would also be fantastic with a little Devon Cream.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'm going to try it out!
    Gorgeous sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect day to me. I have been baking a lot too this fall already. This is my favorite time of year.

    I love the sweater!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I love comments!