Saturday, May 5, 2012

Spring Tea

For my daughter's 6th birthday, one of my friends suggested that I have a tea.  I'd thought about it, but never followed through so her comment gave me the bit of motivation I needed.  As usual, I was far too busy to take pictures so once again, huge thanks to my friend Jeni for capturing all these photos while I ran around being a server for the day.
I used my white vintage 50s dishes with a few of my blue teacups mixed in.  Looseleaf tea strainers were gifts that also acted as placecard holders.  I also printed some menus.

My dining room isn't big enough to accomodate all my guests so my living room became my dining room for the day.
I've had this sugar pot for a while and have never used it so I was happy to be able to fill it sugar cubes and I added the necessary sugar tongs. 

First course - Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.

For the finger sandwiches and dessert, I stacked some of my favorite dishes.  I didn't want to purchase towers but I think this worked well and I don't have to worry about how to store more dishes. 

The guests provided several deserts including these beautiful lemon tarts ...

Jeni made these lovely (and delicious!) individual cheesecakes and even made the sugared flowers on them.

Part of the fun was the opportunity to wear a hat ...

Why don't we wear hats anymore?  So elegant ...

... and fun!
I was too occupied with the entertaining aspect to find the time to shop for a hat but I came upon a somewhat expensive but fun fascinator while perusing ideas online.  I later realized that I had most of the materials to make something similar myself.  A raid of my craft closet and a $3 headband later, the result ...

So, if my living room was my dining room for the day, what did I do with the furniture?  My dining room became a sitting room for the day.


Here are most of us at the end of the day.

I think we all had a lot of fun with this.  For our next tea, I'm taking a break from the kitchen and we'll be gathering at a local garden with a historic house that has occasional tea events.  I'm very much looking forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. What a great time for a Tea! Every photograph is so impressive and exquisite! Oh my, what beautiful young ladies! The venue for the next Tea sounds sensational~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific thing to do! Your table looked beautiful and the food delicious. Both of my granddaughter's love having tea at my house. Actually, I went to my first tea party when I was about 8 years old. One year, my youngest son and his wife to me "to tea" for Mother's Day. It's something I will remember for the rest of my life. It was lovely.

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past few years, high tea has been tradition for me and my mom (and grandmother when she is visiting). Sadly, our favorite tea house closed this year so I expect to be hosting more often!

      ~Melanie

      Delete

Comments? I love comments!